View Single Post
      05-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #163
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Okay, sizeable write up ahead on why I decided to switch from JB4 to full flash on the Bootmod3 platform. SeanWRT I think you'll be very happy to hear about this switch.

Back when I originally turbo swapped the car there was no such thing as an upgraded HPFP for this vehicle, so the only reliable way to get fueling to all 6 cylinders evenly was to run port injection. Being located in Canada where ethanol doesn't exist at the gas pumps, I had to use the next best thing - methanol. Now being that I decided to run actual duty cycle injectors and not traditional methanol nozzles I decided to use the JB4 to control the methanol PI injectors as I could make changes on the fly and in theory "shorten" my tuning period based on datalogs that were easily and readily obtainable on the street via the JB4 app. Don't get me wrong, the JB4 was great as I could monitor all my parameters while driving and could fine tune things on the fly, hell, I could even up the boost to a kill map without having to reflash. It was convenient, no doubt. The problem with the JB4 I found was that as flash tuning grew over the last 2 years, less and less people supported the JB4, no one wanted to make a BEF, or really put in as much effort as they do with a true flash tune because of the fact that the JB4 would be inconsistent not just in different ambient conditions, but even on the same day on back to back pulls. One pull your boost and fueling would be right on target, and the next you might be down 2 PSI, or over boosting on the hit which would throw off your entire pull. It was a great device when flash tuning didn't exist, but I can say I'm glad I decided to switch and won't be looking back.

As I said in an earlier post, a couple weeks ago I started chatting with a few tuners discussing power goals, what it would require me to switch to flash only, and the benefits of flash only vs JB4. Long story short, almost all of them said that I was over complicating my setup now that the XDI-35 (and other HPFPs) are available for the F-Series N55. Port injection is really no longer required and charge pipe methanol is all I would need to max out the PS2 turbo. In short to transition to flash only I would really only need a stand-alone meth system which in this case I chose the AEM 30-3300 because of my previous familiarity with the kit and seeing it used in a lot of high horsepower builds. I've gone from six 550cc injectors in each intake runner to a single CM10 positioned right at the intercooler outlet. I continue to run 100% methanol through the system and it seems to be working quite well.

After reviewing a few tuners portfolios I decided to tune with F80Paul @ Paul Johnson Tunes. He's set a few records on the S55 and I was able to find a couple PS2 N55's he's tuned that made similar horsepower to me and their dyno graphs were a hell of a lot smoother than my JB4 22 PSI map dyno. Another thing which made my choose F80Paul over the rest was his response time. Paul himself reviews all the tunes and makes changes but has a crew of people who tell you when the update has been pushed out. More often that not my e-mail was replied to by Paul himself, but sometimes when he was busy on the dyno / reviewing a lot of logs one of his employees would reply to me stating Paul had pushed an update. I would do my logs every night, and by noon the next day I would have an update - no time wasted. I just finished up my third revision with F80Paul and I suspect this will be the last. I'm currently targeting 21.5 PSI and running 11 degrees of ignition advance up top. This is on Husky 94 Octane + 100% Methanol with a CM10 nozzle. I have had zero codes, zero hiccups, and the car is predictable pull after pull. The car feels insanely fast, faster than when I had a good 22 PSI pull in the JB4, and overall feels like it's in a much better state. Torque comes on smooth, mid range power feels straight savage, and the best part of it all - it feels controllable and manageable in every way.

Here's one of my datalogs from todays revision - ambient temperature was nearly 30 degrees celsius.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec6...2smsJmW5NTQa7s

I will be dyno'ing again once I finish tuning - just waiting for Paul to review the last set of logs to see if we are done. I will also be installing a Turbosmart Plumb Back VR11 diverter valve to replace my DV+ as well as the full metal PureTurbos inlet to replace my V2 inlet over the next couple days.
Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
Anthony1s755.50
M2OG400.00