View Single Post
      05-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #159
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

THOR GTS Transmission Flash and Dynamic Package Review

All comparisons I make in this post are comparisons to the Bootmod3 / MHD GTS Transmission flash which "works" in manual mode, but places the car in comfort in "automatic" mode.

Thor GTS Transmission Flash:

Shifting Strategy: Feels OEM (in a good way). Unlike the Bootmod3 GTS transmission flash, the THOR GTS transmission flash obeys all drive modes and will hold on to gears for longer periods of time as you go from Comfort to Sport+. I don't notice much change here compared to OEM, however this is a HUGE improvement over the Bootmod3 GTS transmission flash as that shifting strategy is comfort mode only!

Shifting Speed: Definitely improved. One thing I did notice while manual shifting the vehicle is that even in the most aggressive drive mode (Sport+ / DSC OFF), the car has some "adaptive" component to it and doesn't just shift super hard at low throttle inputs. I can't think of a better word aside from "adaptive" - maybe someone can chime in with a better way of explaining this. It seems as though as you get more aggressive with the throttle, the more aggressive the shift becomes and the quicker it is. This not only allows for smooth shifts at low throttle inputs, but it also allows for very quick and precise shifts when you're full WOT - this is a huge plus in my book because it keeps the car from being "upset" on the track in lower speed sections.

Shifting Delay: Greatly improved. This is where I noticed the most difference. Prior to flashing the vehicle my one gripe with the transmission was that it did not want to down shift as quickly as I'd like and thus I'd end up manual shifting 99% of the time. Now after flashing the THOR GTS flash I've definitely noticed the car is much more responsive and has a willingness to down shift when slowing down into a corner / parking lot on the street.

Clamping Pressure: Impossible to tell - I can only take the developers word for it that it is increased. I haven't had any signs of slip yet with my PureTurbos Stage 2 M2!

Shifting Jerkiness: Non-existent anymore. I can drive the car in Comfort, Sport, or Sport+ through a parking lot if I'd want to and not have to worry about the car not wanting to downshift / upshift. It seems very "adaptive" to the situation and works with the driver as opposed to following a set of conditions like a program and working against the driver.]

THOR M2 Competition Dynamic Package:

EPS - Nothing short of amazing. The steering feel is quite improved - like SeanWRT said the car feels nimble at low speed, but as you increase in speed the steering weight builds up almost linearly. It's predictable in a good way - the car feels incredibly agile and is effortless to drive at all speeds.

GHAS - Not sure if this is placebo or not, but I definitely feel that in the modes where components of "traction control" are enabled, the car is less likely to kick out on you, and more likely to keep you in a straight line and put the power to the ground. Difficult to truly gauge.

DSC/MDM - Greatly improved. Intrusiveness in MDM mode is greatly reduced and allows for a lot more play while still feeling "safe" in a manner. I used to drive with DSC OFF all the time to avoid any sort of intrusiveness, now I think I'm going to be switching to MDM mode!

Overall this package is amazing. I highly recommend those with DCT M2's get the GTS transmission flash at minimum, but I truly believe that both packages in conjunction really make the car shine. Shout out to SeanWRT for the template! Figured I'd keep the same format so it was easy for people to follow. A lot of what I said mimics what Sean says, this is an amazing product.
Appreciate 0