View Single Post
      08-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #72
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Think you are still going to add the WMI? I'm still trying to resist ethanol out of convenience. Trying out the AEM kit in a couple of weeks at my local track - then back to COTA the next week so I will have some data to compare against my old logs. If it looks promising - but still not where I want it - thinking about going to direct injection with injectors sized to run a higher percentage of water. These IATs are kicking our butt man.

So on the IC swap - it sounds like the main benefit you are seeing from the new one is how fast the temps come down - not so much in controlling that peak temp? So on the track are you seeing bigger drops in IAT in places that are not where you hit peak IAT?

Where do you typically shift at? How is your power past 6k?
Not that it would probably help much - but do you have any venting or done anything more than stock to help the heat escape the engine bay?
Below are my current thoughts on WMI from a different thread. It’s a coin flip, but E85 is more convenient for me (lots of stations out here) than WMI, so I’ll probably stick to E30 and doing the B58 HPFP mod to hopefully run even higher E mixes and tunes.

WMI-
There’s definitely benefit to WMI, I’d just be going thru a ton of it on track. I’d likely need >10-gal of mix for an open track day.

E30 at the track yields similar power output as WMI, and it combusts cooler than gas and power levels remain high even as IATs go to 150F. But, I’ll likely need to do the B58 fuel pump upgrade if I want to run E30 in cooler temps.

It seems both paths get you to similar performance, and they each have pros/cons when it comes to initial setup and ongoing maintenance. WMI likely makes more sense for the ACN gas guys, as they need all the octane help they can get, and the E mix quickly gets too high for the M2’s HPFP when adding enough E85 to make up for ACN gas.

I’m mostly curious about how WMI + E30 performs. From my E30 logs, the WMI would only get me another 5-hp by reducing IATs further, and I could prob squeeze another 10-15hp with a WMI + E30 tune but then I need the tune failsafes in place, and that’s more complexity than I personally want to deal with.

On the flip side, running WMI & E30 on just the E30 tune may provide enough additional fueling to not need to upgrade the HPFP when running E30 in cooler weather. And, it may have other cooling benefits to help keep the engine cooler a little longer at the track. Unfortunately, there’s no way to confirm any of this without actually doing it.

IC-
Regarding the IC, you’re correct. IATs are routinely lower around town and temps drop more between corners on track. But, when you push the car to the max on track, any IC is going to get really hot.

RPMs-
I take the car to redline until it starts to get hot. 6500 or so after that. I don’t think short-shifting from the get go will prevent the inevitable.

Venting-
I have none. I’m not willing to compromise the aesthetics of the car to get more cooling. The only airflow mods I’ve done are Porsche air ducts on the control arms and cutting part of the rotor protection plates off, but that’s for brake cooling.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50