View Single Post
      09-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #706
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Makes me wonder if GTS production is in question.
No idea, but I'm also getting more skeptical as time moves on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
I could see the logic of limiting CS production if no GTS. Also the factory may have production limits so the CS may be built in batches. If 1000 worldwide then the price will be high. I recall they were going to make 2500 of the 1M but final production was around 6300. So if a true a thousand units would mean this will be a very rare car
From a profit point of view I guess a high price and a profit margin of say 50% on low volume might be as good as 20% on higher volume and lower price and less hassle for the factory
By making it limited they can almost name their own price
Spring 2011: the all-new BMW 1M hits the streets and a BMW source hints Jon Sibal that BMW does not exclude the 1M CSL idea (see for example here, here, here and here).

Back in the day a BMW UK product manager told a UK magazine (see here):
"There is scope for a CSL version. This car [1M] has certainly generated a buzz. When we planned for this car we were cautious, but now there’s some hype surrounding the 1M so there’s clearly going to be some people looking at what we can do next. M is the pinnacle of engineering so if there’s a CSL proposition or something really different that we could consider then we would. If there’s something special and unique we can do with it then absolutely we would. However, losing weight from cars is really expensive and the 1M fits very well at the moment at £40k. Whether it’d work as well at £60k just because it’s a bit quicker and lighter then I don’t know."
As we all know, in the end BMW developed a MotoGP Safety Car 1M (not for sale), but no 1M CSL. Probably time, budget and weight constraints have torpedoed the 1M CSL idea.

And what happened with the 2700 figure for scheduled 1M cars: did the car go 'limited edition' ? Well on the contrary: 1M production got cranked up to max production limits in September 2011 and 6309 1M were built (BMW Leipzig plant) (end of production: June 2012). No limited edition (some markets received quota: 450 for the UK, 740 for the US, etc.), but - that much is true - IRL available in limited quantities.

Interesting point to note: pricing ball-park figure for 1M CSL was told 1M x ±150%, alike an E46 M3 CSL was E46 M3 x ±150%, alike an M4 CS (zero options) is told to cost M4 x ±148%. None of those cars were/are limited edition models.