Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
+1

If you find the time, read again this early 1M review (May 13, 2011):
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/13/2...-drive-review/

The conclusion was spot on:
"So, which of the two is quicker around Monticello's south course? The more agile 1M Coupe takes the corners, while the more powerful M3 takes the straights – yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker. However, it is obvious that the new car is more engaging and more enjoyable to drive. Offered the choice between the two, seeking a weekend track racer that will see double-duty as a work commuter, we would take this new 1M Coupe over a BMW M3 Competition.
[...]
BMW doesn't appear to be focusing on whether or not its newest offering is the quickest, fastest or best-handling vehicle in this highly competitive segment. Instead, they bring up the 1988 E30 M3 – the spiritual predecessor to the new 1 Series M Coupe. That car, incredibly successful when homologated for racing, was also lightweight, nimble and an absolute joy to drive.
In similar manner, what makes the 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe so special isn't found in charts, numbers or statistics. Instead, its appeal is discovered once you settle into the supportive bucket seats behind the thick steering wheel. Its allure is captured in the masterful combination of a torque-laden engine mated to a lightweight rear-wheel-drive platform controlled with a traditional manual transmission – the little coupe with the big flares is old school retro-cool and deliciously fun to drive. The new BMW 1 Series M Coupe doesn't target boy-racers, it targets enthusiasts."
Let's see whether this philosophy also trickled down to the M2.
Hmmm

"The 1M signals a return to driving-focused enjoyment, not to mention it's as fast as the M3 and costs way less.

But is it better? Lieberman and I agree: No. This big, heavy, and expensive M3, with its unflappable confidence and lascivious powertrain, is the car we want, the car we'll remember as the best of the naturally aspirated Ms. It's the one we'll tell young gearheads about in a few decades with the same fondness and reverence as given its E30 ancestor. The 1M doesn't measure up to the M3's standard. Few cars do."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

I'm really starting to be torn between the F87 and F80
I'm with you mate. I'm in that current dilemma now. It really comes down to choice and being happy with the decision. I know that I could put myself out of misery and get the F80 and be satisfied I've got a complete full valued M car in my eyes and the only doubt to critique my decision would be is it too big, have I overstretched my budget the extra 20k aud and the M2 gets hailed as the perfect drivers car BMW has to offer and gets rave reviews. If I go M2 will I feel short changed not being satisfied with full M bits that make me feel good such as CF roof, seats and hood dome.

It's all a choice and how you interpret things now and after the fact. For me it's working out which is a priority and one I can be satisfied the most with so as not to look back. If I go F80 I need to stop following the M2 and not get involved in any potential hype that comes in the future.
Appreciate 0