03-19-2022, 04:56 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
To everyone's point yes, I was tuned and modified. Roughly was only 530whp and 560wtq during its time. So about 580hp 600tq to the flywheel. I'm here to provide data.

I hope we can take something away from this.

1. I have never once used kickdown in the vehicle and there's many posts about people arguing kickdown causes the spin. (debunked)
Can it accelerate it? Maybe?? But this spin should put all that kickdown to rest. You'll still spin it if your tuned

2. I have never launched the car, I have never tracked the car. However yes I do accelerate and race the car on a closed course. 90% of the cars life is spent commuting to work. The other 10% is spent enjoying the car and ripping on it

3. 2021 s55 have done nothing to adress the fix and I'm unsure if that's been verified yet. I know 2020 have been verified to no crankhub update. This spin should set in stone 2021 hasn't either.

4. I have never taken the car past 7,000 rpm in the past 10,000 of it's 14,000 mile life. Mainly cus it just falls flat. Take this data how you wish….

Lemme end with this, If you are tuned you are simply playing with fire. And just because your car hasn't seen a spun crankhub doesn't mean it hasn't already slipped and knocked camshaft timing off slightly but still within tolerance. The further it slips out the worse it gets.

After breaking down the motor we seen signs of the camshaft timing slowly moving further and further over the course of a few months. This could be happening to your s55 as we speak. And you won't even know it. I didn't. So be careful and get it done. Living life on a wish and a prayer isn't worth it. Suck it up pay the 1,800-2,200 and move on
Kick down exacerbates the issue, it is not the sole cause of it - and that has already been known.

The cam position sensor is sensitive down to fractions of a degree, there is no way it slips progressively over time if it slips it slips. There is no way to differentiate between a slip that occurs over time and one that occurs instantly by looking at scoring. But since the crank and cam angle sensors are so sensitive it can be reasonably assured that as soon as timing is slipping you will know about it, it won't occur over time slowly - if it breaks the coefficent of friction on the friction disk on the hub and slips it slips and permantly damages that washer meaning it will not be able to hold anymore, there are not partial slips.