09-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
I'm probably mistaken. I was under the impression that BB didn't need to modify the engine mount but to be fair the last time I looked at speed tech they didn't even support the M2 because there was mention of cross member modification. So things have probably changed.

Brand of turbo isn't super important to me. If it works and the vendor is responsive and supportive that's good in my book. Plus there seem to be lots of cars running the BB kits with great success(and pushing them much harder than I would push my car) vs almost no one running the speedtech kit. But this is getting off topic.

The biggest reason why I'm interesting in VTT is because like you mentioned, the stock location of the turbo. California isn't the easiest place to modify a car so it's ideal to only replace the down pipe and flash a tune vs having to uninstall a bunch more stuff to pass emissions.
I see, I think that might just be the E series because the spot where the turbo mounts is quite tight vs. the F series. But again, I am unsure about this fitment issue because I have never heard about it.

In regards to turbos it makes a huge difference, you have to consider the fact that if a failure were to occur vendors (likely every vendor) would try to sweep it under the carpet by offering warranty in exchange for silence, hence why you don't hear alot about failures in the F series n55 community. Next you have to consider the fact that if you do have a turbo failure it is quite an involved process to climb under the car, pull engine mounts to remove the turbo, and then reinstall a new one. This is alot more likely on a turbo with less reputation than from borgwarner which is a turbo giant, and even makes turbos for oems. Plus how many times will a company be willing to warranty a turbo, and how long will the life expectancy of said turbo be?

I've seen a few people run the speedtech kit, they tend to be the hard core modifcation guys that have also switched to the air to water intercooler setups as well. From what I have heard they have had some great success with the efr turbos. But the main reason why you don't hear about speedtech alot is because the bmw community is cheap, alot of guys don't even care about supporting mods they just want max power for as little money as possible and are not afraid to cheap out on even the most critical parts.

Yeah modding sucks in Cali, especially with the crazy laws they're passing all the time like the exhaust noise law.
M2OG400.00