View Single Post
      10-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The DCT is an automatic still that takes away the clutching, rowing of gears and musical timing that makes just shifting more pleasant. Whether it's Shift-o-matic, dsg, dct, f1 it's all the same. When you go to cars and coffee nowadays you don't hear people raving o man your Ferrari has an f1 automated now discontinued gearbox!! Wow! You also don't hear people rave about the e46 m3 CSL. Wow that has the super rare discontinued SMG gearbox. Even though it at least allowed you to row gears. So yes if you feel that the DCT is the greatest thing ever then get it while you can as I said about the manual. But the OP was asking about the manual. For me very current BMW is getting worse and the current one is a know quantity and a cool car. The next one might get a giant grill or a push button weight adding trunk lift like is now offered in the m3. And with so many m3 drivers not really into the cars for actually driving it themselves and preferring computers shift for them, park them, fold
Their mirrors, raise and lower their trunks, swerve and stop for them then the next one might have clutch but a joystick controller for steering since that seems like what the majority wants now.

So tu summarize if you want a manual the days are numbered. They might only offer it in a lower powered variant next time a la new m3 or only a base model like Audi did for years before saying no one buys manuals despite people petitioning to offer RS cars in manual that were offered in Europe.

If you love DCT then by all means grab it while you can just the same.
I'm just saying, grab a new MT now, or a grab a new MT in 2027
Appreciate 0