Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I know this topic has been discussed before but I figured I'd ask given my circumstances and see if there are any novel opinions/ideas.

I'll preface this by saying any decision would come at the end of this year/beginning of next year to see how the COVID situation develops.

I currently finance a 2017 DCT M2 with 1 year left to pay it off. I live in a commuting city as of 2 years ago and only drive on the weekends. Before this I used to drive into NYC for work and why I went with the DCT option 4 years ago. I've had the itch to get back into a 6 spd and after seeing the reveal of the new M3/M4 I'm wondering if now is the time to jump into a new M2C and if I like the new 2022 M2, I'd be able to switch into the updated LCI model. If not, I'd happily keep the M2C for at least 5 years.
The only con other than cost is that this is the only car for my wife and I. She does not drive manual but is eager and willing to learn but I'm unsure if that is a recipe for disaster in a new car. There will be no baby on the way for at least 3 years and even then, I'd be able to lease or finance a larger car if need be. I expect the monthly payments to be fairly similar after a trade in/money down but I would essentially be paying for minor upgrades in performance and mostly for the 6 spd, a newer model, and the potential safety net of the new 2022 M2 not being what I hope for. I also want to note that I do not track the car.

Curious to see what the community has to say

TLDR: I want to go from a DCT M2 to a new 6 spd M2C. Wife does not drive manual but would like to learn. Car is only driven on the weekends. Afraid of what the 2022 M2 will look like given the current 2 series and new M3/M4.
Manuals are going away. You have a chance to get one of the last great ones. The rest of your life you will not have the choice. Everything in the future will be automatic so if you enjoy manual by god Man get yourself a manual while you still can! Your wife will learn if she wants. These cars are easy to drive with hill hold and powerful clutches. One day you will wake up and wish you bought one new back then. I just bought a manual ZHP sedan for about $11k the same car in automatic is worth around 6-7k. I just throw that out there for the silly people that will tell you to think about resale value. Think of it like this. You're in middle school and this cute unknown girl names Jessica Alba wants you to take her to the prom. Don't blow it!!! You will look back with regret if you don't get the car the way it was meant to be configured with 3 pedals. And finally to inoculate you from the other argument that the automatic is
..2 seconds quicker when using automated launch control. That means squat when you give up the daily pleasure of shifting vs the one time on your life you will
Actually drag race another M2 from a standstill stoplight. Worse yet every electric car coming out will be faster than that by full seconds so focus on the pleasure and dynamics over resale value or .2 second differences.

2 cents.
they're going to make new manual transmission m2, m3, and m4s for next gen. The DCT is forever gone after the m2c.
The DCT is an automatic still that takes away the clutching, rowing of gears and musical timing that makes just shifting more pleasant. Whether it's Shift-o-matic, dsg, dct, f1 it's all the same. When you go to cars and coffee nowadays you don't hear people raving o man your Ferrari has an f1 automated now discontinued gearbox!! Wow! You also don't hear people rave about the e46 m3 CSL. Wow that has the super rare discontinued SMG gearbox. Even though it at least allowed you to row gears. So yes if you feel that the DCT is the greatest thing ever then get it while you can as I said about the manual. But the OP was asking about the manual. For me very current BMW is getting worse and the current one is a know quantity and a cool car. The next one might get a giant grill or a push button weight adding trunk lift like is now offered in the m3. And with so many m3 drivers not really into the cars for actually driving it themselves and preferring computers shift for them, park them, fold
Their mirrors, raise and lower their trunks, swerve and stop for them then the next one might have clutch but a joystick controller for steering since that seems like what the majority wants now.

So tu summarize if you want a manual the days are numbered. They might only offer it in a lower powered variant next time a la new m3 or only a base model like Audi did for years before saying no one buys manuals despite people petitioning to offer RS cars in manual that were offered in Europe.

If you love DCT then by all means grab it while you can just the same.
Appreciate 0