View Single Post
      08-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #55
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
i am relatively new to BMW (spent many years in Audi S4's and RS4's before I knew better). Whenever people talk about how well the older BMW's handle (the E46 in particular) even compared to the newer cars it really makes me feel like I missed the boat.

I hated the way my base F80 handled. However, I love the way my CS F80 handles.

To hear you, a fellow CS owner, say it's still numb compared to the older BMW's confirms what I have always suspected. I spent my 20's driving AWD sh*tboxes when I should have made the move to BMW a decade earlier.

I made the move from Audi only when they stopped offering a manual.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it... I jump back and forth daily between an E36 M3 and an F30. One of the better steering and chassis to one of the worst. And you know what, I still often prefer the F30. SACRILEGE! There is more directness and steering feel in the E36 for sure. It's smaller too. But the F30 steering, feel, size aren't "bad" by any stretch. The refinement, abilities, and overall package of the F30 are better. I'll admit that the limits the F30 comes apart at the seams. However, anything below 8/10's, or in a straight line there is no contest with the F30 winning (it has its foibles too, the unsettled rear under cornering on bumps is terrible). I test drove a couple E46 M3's and was underwhelmed with those when thinking of replacing my E36 once upon a time, and went out and bought a WRX... which was a huge mistake, but I don't regret not buying the E46.

Anywho... modern BMW's are pretty damn good. Old ones were great too. Don't get too hung up on anything other than enjoying each for their own greatness.
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 09-01-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00