View Single Post
      09-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #77
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think there are a couple things going on that have kind of been touched on. First, like the 1 Series M (BMW was careful not to call it and actual M car), the OG M2 is really just the entry level car with some upspecced M parts in it. While they both were fun to drive and great performers, they are honestly a bit of frankensteins for their respective day. The M2C now has an S coded engine, but of course BMW hobbled it a little so it wouldn’t have the same output as the M3/4. Which is why the M2CS is coming. And everyone knows the real M car is the M3 that started it all. All the reviews in the world that say the M2 is the real M3 doesn’t change the badge the factory put on it. So in some sense the M purists probably look at M2 owners as posers to some extent.

The other part of it is like the 911/Cayman comparison. When you say 911, everyone knows you have a Porsche, that’s all you have to say. They know what it looks like and that it’s an incredible car. If you say Cayman, half the time you have to then explain its a Porsche to some people. And others know if you had the money, you probably would have gotten the 911 instead of the Cayman. I own a 718 and love it but can tell you there’s even snobbery within the Cayman crowd saying the 718 is terrible due to going back to flat four. It doesn’t matter that my car outperforms all previous Cayman before it.
Appreciate 1
ESB1046.50