View Single Post
      03-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #75
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Interesting view of an '18 Type R owner who owns a '16 Porsche GT4 as well:

Quote:
Oops, I did remember the 8:06 RS time, thanks for the correction. The FK8 did do a 8:01 with sport auto while they posted 7:40-7:50 times for a lot of the cars you list (making those cars 11-20 seconds faster than a CTR). Likely the 8:01 CTR time was in Christian's hands, but I'm not sure.

"The CTR is in damn good company" is a false, or at best misleading, statement if you are talking about 7:40-7:50 cars. The CTR is not in the company of the 7:40-7:50 cars. To say that it would have to be driven under the same conditions as the other 7:40-7:50 cars and post a sub 7:50 time.

Sport auto tests the GT4 as 19 seconds faster than the CTR under similar conditions (7:42 vs. 8:01). Every other test that has included both the GT4 and a CTR has shown the former car to be significantly faster. Motor Trend (Randy Pobst) did a 1:37 at Laguna Seca in a GT4 and a 1:44 in a CTR. Car and Driver did a 2:54 in a GT4 at Virginia International Raceway and a 3:03.9 in the CTR. Every track day I've gone to has the GT4 4 or 5 seconds faster around a 2 minute track than the CTR (which would translate to about 20 seconds faster at the 'ring, a roughly 8 minute track). Are you suggesting that the CTR can post similar times to a GT4 and for every example I have given that they just weren't driving the CTR well enough?

I don't care that much, but I kind of care about the scientific literacy of the general populace Each of these tests is an experiment to measure an unknown quantity. There are parameters that effect the outcome, like weather and driver. Some of these parameters might be considered cheating, like turning up the turbo boost, changing the suspension from stock, or modifying the tires some way for a hero lap (special heating or shaving). I don't want to say the Honda factory CTR time is BS or cheating, but however they got their lap time so low doesn't translate to any magazine test or lap time achieved by actual owners. It's basic scientific/engineering procedure to throw out an outlying data point. Every other test has the GT4 at least 4 seconds per two minutes of track time faster than the CTR except for the Honda factory CTR time, therefore, that factory time is the one to throw out for any reasonable comparison.

It doesn't mean we can't enjoy watching Honda's 7:43.8 and wonder what witchcraft they performed to get it, but it's meaningless for comparison with other cars. 8:01 is a time comparable with other cars and it's damn impressive! (EDIT: from tire differences described in the next two posts, a good comparable ring time for the CTR is likely around 7:53 if it was on Michelin Cup 2 tires, which many of the 7:40-7:50 cars use, so the factory CTR time of 7:43.8 is still an outlier, but by about 10 seconds, not 18 seconds)
https://www.civicx.com/threads/evo-m...the-win.29193/

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
detroitm22428.50
heavyD^23688.50