10-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #124
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
problem is, I think I have the CHRA clocked wrong (center section of the turbo) and its causing the oil to not drain fast enough at idle. Oil is pooling and then being pushed through the seals causing massive smoke clouds. it can also hurt the seals if it goes on too long. so basically I need to redo the clocking of the turbo but the bolts on the exhaust housing are very well.......stuck. Kinda fused in from the heat. I'm working on getting them loose and really dont want to remove the turbo but i might have to.
by "clocked wrong," i'm assuming you mean the CHRA is off by a few degrees (kinda like timing belt/chain can be off by a tooth or more)? if so, i didn't even know that CHRA's had to be aligned like that. i just figured that if you can't detect any play in the CHRA indicating that the rotational axis is off-center, you're good to go (correct me if i'm wrong). are you confident that its not just some bad or mis-seated turbo seals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
also have a bad exhaust leak off of the vband flange that was already on the turbo. We fear it may be warped.
yeah, that would be my guess too, seeing as how a V-band doesn't use a gasket of any kind to rely on for a perfect seal.

anyways, can't wait to see this thing running 100%...don't forget to make some videos.