View Single Post
      07-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #2259
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Couple of points from 2015 thread

Wear rate at the track is far higher. If we assume the before and after numbers are accurate, your 200 track miles consumed 22% of the front disk's life, and 31% of the rear's. This translates into a total track lifespan of 900 miles for the front disks and 650 miles for the rears.

At $20k per replacement set that works out to $26.50 per mile on the track in brake disks alone, or $5300 for your 200 mile track weekend. This seems a good time to point out that replacement ZR1 rotors are made by the same OEM as Porsche's rotors, and can be bought for $5400 for the set.

I and I'm sure others are looking forward to your next data point with great interest. Thanks very much for gathering and posting this info! I think it's the best we've got for Gen 3 PCCBs, and worth tons to many of us.

For what it's worth,

I was recently at Barber Motorsport Park for a 918 delivery with my father. The advanced Porsche classes were taking place on track at the same time.

I spoke with a number of the instructors individually about swapping the PCCB rotors on my GT3 to a steel/iron alternative. Each of them came back with the exact same response: no need w/ the new PCCBs.

I completely understand that these guys are paid by Porsche to represent the product and technology in as high a light as possible so their comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said... they had a fleet of track dedicated GT3's each equipped with PCCB's. They've had them the entire year and not swapped rotors yet....

That gave me a lot of confidence to stick it out w/ my ceramic rotors....

As a reference for steel rotors:
I'm at 4000-4500 track miles, 4 sets of rear tires, 3 sets of fronts (RS) 1.5 sets of enduro pads front .5 set of rear pads.
1 set of front rotors. Rears like new.
1.5L oil and annoying 200cc at the time..

5 of the 18 track days were at the Ring so minimal braking there, but all the other tracks were brake killers, worse than Sebring and nothing like the easy California tracks..

I'd hate to be looking at my first PCCB rotor replacement.
Refurbishment would be OK at $1000 per corner but not enough real world feed back.

I'm little surprised by the sudden drop in the density measurements. Based on the previous information and the good work of others to calculate the degradation curves I was not expecting to faced with this issue for another 10-20 track days.
Obviously the degradation is not linear.

Thread died out in April 2019. Looks like everyone was pro CCB, then they started wearing faster, some had better luck. Surface transforms came on the seen, and then essix racing.
Appreciate 2
lax01792.50
cncmastr1590.00