11-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #80
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
It's obvious from the data that the Corvette sales are way, way up (146%), but have a look at the YTD numbers for the "American Muscle" group. When talking about "the market", where you draw your boundaries can make a huge difference. If we include cars like the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger in our "sports-car market" definition, the increase in Corvette sales is relatively insignificant. The entire "Other Sporty Cars" group is barely 2/3rds the size of the "American Muscle" group.
My understanding of the data is BMW was looking at a segment including the Z, SLK and Audi TT. Sales there were documented to have declined. What I read into this is BMW might not have a lot of appetite for a major reworking of the Z line.

American Muscle seems to be in a renaissance of sorts. In this day and age of increasingly restrictive MPG standards, the fact that a car like the Stingray is available at a reasonable price and the pony cars at a mass market price is outstanding and more important to me than total sales numbers.