View Single Post
      07-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #22
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
As above, all of the F8X models (F80 M3, F82/3 M4, F87 M2) have factory PPF because the flared fenders (like 911s) are going to get hit with rocks. A lot. It's nice that BMW and other manufacturers think of this, but the PPF is too small for American roads. On the F80, the coverage is laughable. However, in Germany, no issues. I did European Delivery and in over 600 miles of driving, there were no chips outside the factory PPF. As soon as I returned home, chips. This is because in Germany the roads are so well maintained. In the cities the speed limit minimizes stone damage and the autobahns are spotless. So I immediately replaced the M3 piece with a much lager custom piece of Xpel while I was doing the front of the car.

I couldn't get an immediate appointment with my PPF guy after delivery of my M2C this week. I have an HS M2C and it is my first light-colored car in some time. After the drive from Phoenix to my home in Tucson I found the vertical edge of the OE PPF was quite dark. I couldn't get it all off with quick detailers or (after an on-line search) Q-tips and diluted rubbing alcohol.

My PPF went on today (will post about that soon), and my installer did a custom piece that covers most of rear front fender. As above, the best would be to wrap the whole fender, but this works because the vertical edge wraps around the fender edge behind the door. If you have an HS or AW M2, you WANT this done, trust me. I couldn't get the line of the PPF to show up in the picture, so I added a line to approximate the coverage.

I had them do it this way, very happy with it.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0