06-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #110
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620turbo View Post
Errrmmm, no. I drove both,. I had the option to buy both. I preferred the OG M2 so I bought one. It is not that simple, is down to personal requirements and preference and importantly, what the car will be used for.

I did not really notice that much difference in the initial turn in between OG M2 and M2C. M2C maybe a bit stiffer due to the M4 carbon strut brace, but the dampers and springs are the same OG M2 to M2C, despite what BMW said about revised suspension. There are a couple of joints which were changed to rose joints and that is it. I also find this a bit odd as the S55 is heavier and I would have expected the front suspension at least to have been re calibrated for this and changed.

I think it comes down to the fact that BMW had to put the S55 in to keep the M2 going as the N55 was being killed off due to the emissions changes. They maybe did not want to spend the money tuning, testing and redoing all the spring and damper rates as the M2C will not be in production that long anyway. This is a compromise for the M2C though as the suspension was developed, tested and tuned for the OG M2 and the N55.

In terms of the M2C drivelogic with the button to change the shift aggressiveness, I find this to be completely pointless.

In the OG M2 BMW dealer technician technical documentation they explained how the drivelogic had been programmed to automatically select the shift ferocity based on driving parameters, which makes sense and it works really well for me.

If I drive it hard, it shifts harder and faster, when I am pootling about, it shifts slower and calmer. It immediately adapts to how the car is being driven and changes the shift ferocity as appropriate.

In my opinion having a button which I would need to mess around with and change when putting my foot down or going slowly, is a step backwards, not forwards.

But I guess it gives another button and some LED lights for people to get excited about and discuss in the pub.

Yeah the N55 was def on its last legs due to emissions but it didn't have much left let alone for a competition model. I too owned the OG M2 swapped turbos and all I can still state with ease the M2C is a better car in every aspect well aside from exhaust note lol. As for suspension the parts are different but how much that's how to debate still. On the DCT front I have no clue as I never would buy an M car in automatic. Manual transmission is a must for me as these cars are intended to be driven that way
Appreciate 0