View Single Post
      03-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #57
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, mostly it was just follow NewTIS.info and the various threads from people who have already done it. However:

1. Make sure the battery is disconnected before you try test fitting the aluminium brace as it gets alarmingly close to the lead for the jump start terminal.
2. The bracket for the ABS unit gets in the way. You may wish to follow the approach of others and put some felt between it and the brace.
3. Buy a bag of press rivets from BMW. You'll need them, even if you don't mangle a few.
4. I set the rivnuts on the inner wings using an approach using a bolt, some penny washers, some spring washers and an oversized nut described on YouTube. It works well. As previously mentioned, torquing the bolts once the brace is fitted is a bit tricky.
5. Either invest in some cheap towels to act as protective blankets or recycle the oldest ones in the house.
6. The engine cover needs to come off to reseat the engine bay seal that sits between it and the windscreen. The front right mount for the cover goes back on much more easily with some lube on the rubber bush.
7. A really big breaker bar works wonders when finally tightening the two bolts just in front of the windscreen.
8. Take your time, and while i think I could do the whole thing in under 4 hours now, give yourself a couple of days.

HTH

Last edited by M Fifty; 03-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Realism on time. It's 30m/side for the strut tops.
Appreciate 1
pal433.00