View Single Post
      03-14-2024, 08:56 AM   #62
AlpinewhiteM2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexWheels View Post
The profile and barrel clearance of those 2 designs (VS-5RS/EC-7RS) in an 18" diameter are identical regardless of the offset except for the areas I highlighted in red and green in the image above which shift with the offset/spoke profile. The clearance you have and look585 have in the area of the barrel where the scratch was is the same. The fact that the wheel now clears (even though it's tight) definitely points to incorrect mounting during the initial test. With that being said, if the clearance between the caliper and barrel is tight enough, you will get scratching from road debris on both the inner barrel of the wheel and body of the caliper over time. We shoot for a 3mm gap minimum, but it's hard to measure everywhere that it matters without modeling both the wheel and brakes in solidworks.

-Tom
Thank you for confirming that the barrel clearance for the EC7RS and VS-5RS are the same regardless of offset. I'm not too worried about potential scratches on the wheels/ calipers as it's an inevitability even with the OEM 788m wheels and factory 400mm OEM rotors setup.

I'm looking forward to using the new wheels and brakes setup this autox and HPDE season.

Last edited by AlpinewhiteM2C; 03-14-2024 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1