View Single Post
      03-13-2024, 03:21 PM   #60
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
@Tom - I purchased the EC7RS wheels; received them two weeks ago. I refitted the 18x10 25mm offset in the front again and it's not touching as it did during my first test fit attempt. I may have not set the wheels properly the first time as the clearance is very close (see pics below):

Pic of wheel where it touched during initial fitting:

Pic of wheels during second test fitting:
Top of caliper

Bottom of Caliper

Inner Clearance to Coilover

If the EC7RS and VS-5RS shares the same barrel profile, then there may be a difference in the barrel clearance between the 25mm vs 40mm offset as the pictures by look585 seems to show a lot more barrel clearance than mine.
The profile and barrel clearance of those 2 designs (VS-5RS/EC-7RS) in an 18" diameter are identical regardless of the offset except for the areas I highlighted in red and green in the image above which shift with the offset/spoke profile. The clearance you have and look585 have in the area of the barrel where the scratch was is the same. The fact that the wheel now clears (even though it's tight) definitely points to incorrect mounting during the initial test. With that being said, if the clearance between the caliper and barrel is tight enough, you will get scratching from road debris on both the inner barrel of the wheel and body of the caliper over time. We shoot for a 3mm gap minimum, but it's hard to measure everywhere that it matters without modeling both the wheel and brakes in solidworks.

-Tom
Appreciate 1