View Single Post
      01-29-2024, 09:58 AM   #60
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Lad View Post
You really can’t hear it in the cold start?? Put your volume up to max. It sounds like a tractor. In person it’s very easy to hear the extremely loud ticking from the engine bay.

Now if I were to leave the car off for like 2 hours then go back to start it up it would have a mini cold start cycle however, the ticking would not be that liud. The longer I leave the car off the louder the ticking is.

I figured to give tightening the bolts a try first and see if that does anything. But i wanted to know what bolts I’d need and if I need any other gaskets.
No serious I can't hear any tapping on the cold start, only loud exhaust rasp. Can you video cold start with bonnet open and camera near engine?

The hardest bit PITA is getting the cam cover off and back on without causing any oil leaks afterwards. The thinn rubber gaskets try to fall out of the cam cover when you turn it over to re-fit (try grease to hold it in place) if even one small bit of the gasket gets trapped or cut you will have serious oil leak problems.

I wouldn't change any lifters unless you think they are faulty. Maybe do some other maintenance like new spark plugs?

Once you got the cover off, changing the 15x cam ledge bolts is easy bit one at a time.

You can't re-torque them - there is no final torque setting as they are TTY stretch bolts, so they are stretched already and cannot be re-used.

I'm not sure of the tightening spec (your shop will need BMW workshop guide). But it will be a torque plus degrees turn, i.e. 30nm + 90degrees.

Whenever you see this you know it is TTY single use bolts.

All the parts from BMW only.
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 01-29-2024 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
bitcore108.00