View Single Post
      08-17-2023, 02:21 AM   #186
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I had problems with my rear left indicator acting up when it got constantly wet and humid outside, usually during the fall starting from september. THe rear right have never acted up during my 3 years of ownership. Understanding that this problem is moisture related I tried to combat this by adding gaskets on both sides on the body of the car to seal against the back of the housings, but leaving a space for water to drain. Despite the connectors having an internal seal I decided to add shrink tube around the connectors (were they meet) to really avoid getting any moisture into the connector.
After this the left indicator worked just as intended without hiccups! BUT! We've had a very rainy july here in Sweden and the problem occured again, not on the left side but the right!
The left side was working fine even if it rained basically every day but the right one accted up daily and erratically. When I finally grew tired of the problem I removed the rear right housing and cleaned out the connectors with oxide cleaner, used compressed air to get any moisture out and applied some contact protection. Seeing as my shrink tube around the connector didn't work I looked on the backside of the male connector and where the wires goes into the connector theres gaskets that's supposed to seal against any moisture getting in. I decided to try and put some shrink tube at the back of the connector and towards the wiring. Seeing the size difference between the back of the connector and the shrink tube there's no way it can shrink that much so I had to use some electrical tape as well. If it's good enough for BMW I guess I can use it as well.
Before plugging everything back up I bent the pins very little, odd ones up and even ones down, to add some contact pressure. Even if I don't think this is the cause it doesn't hurt. I plugged everything back up and the rear right indicator worked just fine! Even if it rained a couple of days after my little fix. If the left indicator starts acting up I know what I'll do.

Pictures of how I installed the seal on the body. You can see that I made a "gutter" in an attempt to keep the water from getting towards the ground point. Probably a feeble attempt but it was an experiment.

I also added a gasket on the outisde/top of the housing.

chris7197393.00
Kikuchiyo125.00