View Single Post
      07-07-2023, 10:00 PM   #6376
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Took it to the track for Open Lapping and a pro session today before my club's HPDE tomorrow.

It could have gone better.

When I tech'd the car, the general consensus was that I was cleared for two more track days with my Cup2's as long as I rotated them.

I did, and they didn't make it. At the end of the first session, I was just starting to show steel cords on the outside of one of the front tires-- the rest of the tires were pretty smoked (although still barely above the wear bars in the rear).

Grr. Had to cancel the afternoon session with the pro and do an emergency return to my house to put my street MP4S's on for the HPDE tomorrow. 90 minutes each way, plus the time to swap wheels and tires.

Kind of a bummer as a) I lost a half-day at the track (on the plus side, I didn't die), and the budget doesn't really have room for a new set of track tires built into it at the moment.

My wife's response? "I guess I know what I'm getting you for Christmas".

Hopefully, I don't chew up the MP4S's too badly tomorrow-- I need to remember that the car's wearing dress shoes instead of tennis shoes on the track.

Additionally, I think it's time to invest in some dedicated track pads-- I'm starting to torch my second set of DS2500's. A lesson learned: get better = go faster = consumables (tires & brakes) skyrocket!

Sigh.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 07-07-2023 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 3