04-27-2023, 02:06 PM   #22
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I don't get cruises. You are stuck with a bunch of random(usually unattractive overweight) people on a boat. Days at sea are kind of a waste. Being in your cabin feels like a waste of time, it is just a small hotel room, even the Suits are meh I mean they are nice but...I also don't like sitting in a fancy hotel room. I can sit around in luxury at home. I would rather fly to my destination and get a day there vs wasting a day or 3 traveling on the 'slow boat'. The all you can eat buffets are ok, my kid likes it, I think the food is rather crappy.

On Royal and carnival you used to be able to get as much as you want to eat for dinner. Now they upcharge you. Example: $16.99 plus an 18% gratuity = $20 if you want another lobster tail. It was fun pigging out at dinner, no more.

You see more for-fee options available on cruise ships than ever before. You want a nice steak house, you pay. It kind of takes away from the experience a touch.

There is also a lot of waiting around, waiting to get on the boat, get off, gotta get back in time before it leaves which can cut your shore excursions short and limits what you can do. If you had just flown there you would not have those wasted travel days at sea and have more time to spend at every destination.

If you like to just lay around & stare at blue water(which are travel days) I guess it is ok. I guess you can shop and there are activities to keep some what entertained. Kids seem to like cruises and the water parks, bring friends or other family members with kids so they can entertain themselves. If I am going to spend my precious free time and money a cruise is pretty much last on my list of things to do.

edit: As said above some are just party boats. Do you research and understand what you are getting into.
I would say that most of what you described is the opposite of the NCL Hawaii cruise. The ship is basically your hotel for the week and sails at night (no at sea days). You also get two overnights, one on Maui and one on Kauai if wanted to venture further from the ship without needing to be back at a specific time that evening. Yes, there are upcharge restaurants, but also plenty of included (complementary) options to choose from. This all adds up to a really great way to island-hop Hawaii without the hassles of dealing with airports. Like you said, do your research before booking and understand what you're signing up for. There are a lot of different types of cruise experiences you can do from bare bones to 100% all-inclusive luxury.
Appreciate 2
diirk1046.50
vreihen1615601.00