03-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #211
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
You ought to sell the 3D files, but I guess there is no way to keep those from being given away. If you need someone to test a 3D print version I'm looking to see what I can print on my home printer. I want to 3D print a connector that uses the factory CS cooling opening.

Is there any improvement from removing the backing plate for track days. Seems like that would allow more heat to radiate out from disc.

I'm looking for a system that I swap on for track days when swapping pads, and then remove when swapping back to street pads.
Many have asked about the files and as you say there's no way to control the spread once they are set loose, I will still provide parts and to some extent still sell the old setup as well if there's an interest in those.

As far as cooling the brakes, removing the backing plates will help cool the brakes as the heat won't be contained in the discs as much. But that heat has to go somewhere and will radiate inward and to some extent it might shorten the lifespan of the boots covering the joints. In a race car that's not an issue due to the use of uniballs. Personally I haven't had any issues with the boots as the closest boot (steering knuckle) is covered by the backing plate.