12-07-2022, 10:03 PM   #25
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
My friend... nothing is further from the truth... the only thing the M2 had going for it from a price perspective is the fact that it was rarer... outside of that, they were selling below MSRP everywhere... in mid 2019... i had to call only 2 dealers to find below MSRP locally and this was in the hot South Florida market.

There were a few things when I spoke to a salesperson... he said the fact that the M2 is so small and only 2 door already removes a lot of buyers... There are so many dealers where the comps just sat and sat waiting for a buyer... South BMW in Miami had 10 at one point... that's not a joke, I have a picture of it somewhere on their back lot. if you paid MSRP back then, then that was a clownish move back then just like paying over 60K for one now is...

I paid 60K for my 66k MSRP car in 2019 and sold it earlier this year in a trade for 60K... couldn't even fathom paying that for this car now. If this was a non covid market, these cars would be worth mid 40s max... as already iin 2019 I could find a comp for 53-54... to me the 6k delta was just worth a new M car.
Not sure we are that far off. First is you bought a brand new car for $6k off sticker. Many people paid MSRP for M2s or close to it. At the end of the day your case would still only be a $6k premium if one were to buy the car new at MSRP and you get a NEW car. Folks are spending MSRP on 2-3 year old cars. The same ones you admit that should be worth $15k less that MSRP (and that’s being generous). In reality buying a new M2 at MSRP is way smarter than buying a used car at anywhere close to MSRP. Besides the fact that you were able to save $6k in your example, it doesn’t seem you actually made a case against my main point.
Appreciate 0