11-08-2022, 08:03 PM   #64
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
No offense taken, this is a discussion among members that want to push the platform forward!

Not to say that the heat issue is solved for me nor that my setup somehow replaced the need for Tyspeed level cooling, but there's room to reduce overall oil heat load being dumped into the coolant loop via the Mosselman thermostat (different than BM3 max cooling mode) and a more efficient turbo. Have either of you tried the Mosselman?
Yeah I really want to move this platform ahead too, but with stock like bolt in options I don't think it's going to happen. We are going to need to see more extreme options like the s55 cooling swap. or an intercooler that only sits Infront of the radiator (like the er competition) and thus allows for a custom radiator that will actually be full height to slot in.

The mosselmann thermostat doesn't technically reduce any heat being dumped into the coolant loop *once operating temps are reached*, because the coolant heat exchanger is still present. What it does is delay the inevitable for maybe another lap. This is because the mosselmann thermostat only opens sooner, allowing the oil to remain cooler for just a lap or two more - it does nothing to increase the ability for heat to be shed. But once every thing is fully heated up (and it will fully heat up to the same temps as before because cooling surface area stays the same), the temperature will still be put into the coolant loop via the heat exchanger. Even further proof was tyspeed ran the bms sport oil cooler valve, and it did nothing but delay the inevitable. He even completely deleted the oil filter housing and ran a custom block off plate and oil filter for increased oil flow and that allow more improvement. So I think increased oil flow is critical to help aid in the oil cooling situation, and if that is what you need I think an after market high flow thermostat is a way better option (i.e. improved racing's thermostat which is the highest flowing thermostat on the market with customizable thermostat temps). So imo the mosselmann thermostat upgrade is kind of useless, and I don't really know why so many people are buying into it. It doesn't make sense to buy it for street use because 100C oil temps aren't bad, oil can operate at much higher temps and 100c+ oil temps helps burn out contamination like fuel and water, excessively low oil temps don't allow this to happen. Also Lowering the opening temps don't benefit much, it makes warm up for the street worse, and it doesn't help much on the track but delay the inevitable. Imo if I were to buy a thermostat upgrade it would be a block off plate + the improved racing thermostat (as I want the better flow, and I want it with the same temp thermostat as stock) + adapter fittings and nothing else, I also wouldn't delete the thermostat either because I still drive the car on the street. Imo lowering the thermostat operating temps is just a bandaid to an underlying problem, that being an oil cooler that is too small to do its job.

Now back to dumping temps into the coolant loop, to fix this you'd need to add an aux water pump to help flow through the aux radiator and heat exchanger, because the m2 doesn't have one for some reason (the m235i does). Unfortunately you cannot retrofit the m235i pump because the ECU can't control it, I've talked to some coders and it can't be coded either. So you have 2 options for this: buy an e39 pump which is an on or off pump without pwm control, and wire it in to the same fuse location. Or buy the m235i pump and use an aftermarket pierburg pump controller. ZM2 has already done this and it still isn't enough, so I really suspect that the main radiator is just too small.

A final option I talked to zm2c618 about was adding a 3 way valve to the heat exchanger to allow it to bypass that for track use, and renable it for the street to aid in oil warm up and cooling during low air flow idling conditions. I'm not sure where this will lead.

Last edited by F87source; 11-08-2022 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0