Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The car won't throw codes for high coolant temps, it just pulls timing in a soft limp mode. Only if you really really over heat it will it throw codes and go full limp mode.

Interesting, I know about the tuning differences for a track vs. a street tune and all the specifics about timing and afrs. However the m2's and n55's limits is the physical size of the radiator - which is missing a massive portion off the bottom as bmw cut it short so the intercooler can tuck in underneath it. This is a physical limitation in how much thermal energy the radiator can shed off, and no tune or exhaust manifold can fix. Im sure with a better exhaust manifold, and a better tune you might be able to push into the 400 whp range, but likely not much. This is why the m235ir is limited to 270 whp.

Anyways I would be interested to see if you have logs the next time around, and maybe if cookiesowns has logs for the time attack car - that would be interesting.
Don't forget about the cooling effects of full e85

I'm also running a mosselman thermostat which probably buys me several laps in a 20 minute HPDE session by reducing load on the coolant loop since it keeps oil temps down temporarily. All this to say, the car isn't definitely winning long endurance races currently at the high power level, but it's definitely fun for HPDE, as a daily, and on the airstrip 😁

Will definitely look to log more temp values in the future.
what's ur take on the mosselman thermostat compared to the BMS oil cover valve spring. I have the BMS setup but been thinking about upgrading
Appreciate 0