07-17-2022, 10:49 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaveatrail86 View Post
I went ahead and increased the gap to .26 just because I had a lot of hope with the results zm2 had. Of course, with your guidance and knowledge. Definitely runs smoother and stronger! Very smooth idle now. However, that lope/misfire only happens when I put it in 1st gear or in reverse. Really weird. It’s not a horrible misfire, but it’s there.

What I did do was disconnect the pre cat o2 sensor to see if it would change anything. There was a slight minuscule change but not much. Could it be the pre cat o2 sensor? How can I test it

1) Just because one user has success with a plug gap range doesn't mean you should follow it because every car and use case is different (maybe one car had weaker coils), and especially because you also have much more powerful coils meaning you have alot more potential to chose larger gap sizes. This is why you always go to the max gap (stock) and go down only when needed, so you can get the largest gap size possible - remember gapping down is not a desirable thing it means you don't have the coil energy to maintain the spark. So when you follow another user's gap size choice without any prior testing on your own setup - especially when you are following a gap size utilizing stock coils on a much more agressive setup (meaning the requirements for a smaller gap may be valid) you are literally throwing away all the gains you have by upgrading coils because you don't need to gap down. Sure 0.026" doesn't seem to pose any issues with misfiring or idle, but again why would you gap down when it's not needed - this is even more emphasized because you have upgraded coils and gapping down when you don't need to is like throwing money for coil upgrades in the garbage. (Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm just trying to explain this as best I can, not trying to be a douche).

But at the end of the day it's your choice, I just think it's a bad idea to gap down when not needed.

2) Did you put anti-sieze on your spark plugs?

3) Wait wait wait, you did what? NEVER unplug the pre cat o2 sensor, that is what the car uses to detect afr's, removing this cripples the cars ability to accurately detect these values and can put it in limp mode or even worse blow the motor.

If the cat is fouled afr's values would be very off, and you may get codes.

Last edited by F87source; 07-19-2022 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0