View Single Post
      07-13-2022, 03:14 AM   #369
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A circuit is a circuit and its limits are imaginary walls. If there is a real wall right next to a track limit line, a severe penalty is immediately served in kind: the driver crashes into the wall. Self-inflicted.

We need more gravel pits, grass and foam obstacles to stop the repeated speed gaining abuse by all drivers. The penalties should even be tightened to enforce drivers to stay on the circuit. The rule is legitimate - it's the drivers who repeatedly abuse the rules. The black and white diagonal flag should be shown after a 2nd, instead of a 4th, noted violation (more particularly if there is no justification for a track limits violation, to be distinguished from being forced off-track by a competitor).

For the moment it's like tennis: only if the ball is fully beyond the line, it's out. If the ball still touches the line for a fraction, it is still "in". In F1, as long as 1 wheel touches even the outside part of the line, it's admitted. Not as strict as in football: if a part of the ball passes your goal line, you take a goal. Hit the armcos in for example Monaco, and your race risks to be over or substantially compromised. As said, stewards need not imposing a penalty for this - the armco will do that at once.

You got to 'draw the line' somewhere. Alike the speed limit in the pitlane imposed for safety reasons: 80 km/h is 80 km/h. Drive faster and you'll get a penalty. All drivers hypothetically speeding in the pitlane, would not per se mean that the safety rule should be revised - drivers should adapt to the safety rule, rather than the other way around.

Example of repeated speed gaining abuse at a time when track limits violations were not as enforced as nowadays:
yes basically what im saying putting a gravel/grass part or something.. i cant only see the fault on drivers here.. im not saying there should a wall or something.. but when you put the white line and a huuuge curb there ll be a problem..

remember Spa's old bus stop chicane.. they were jumping through the chicane cutting white lines.. for many years.. if there is a curb you use it while racing..

problem starts when you keep seeing almost all the grid getting warnings and penalties.. cars are heavy, competition is high and cars are pretty fast..

why dont we see such penalties on the last corner of Melbourne for example.. yes there is a wall there.. it doesnt have to be that way.. just putting smaller curbs and then a run off area can take away this drama..

for tennis part.. i see what you mean but in tennis lines are straight or in football.. on track and corners lines are not always paralel + track itself can get wider and tighter according the track.. and actually we dont see such problems with sharp 90 degree corners.. because things are less dramatic in that setup..

i agree it should be clear-cut rules or setups on track.. but judging from cameras to see if one wheel is on still on the line is causing such ridiculous moments like in A1.. and seeing things only from one side is not the right solution.. on track you push all the way..

and the track itself should set boundaries.. not drivers imagination where car ll be on the exit..

actually such problems started to occur after cars getting much faster and new generations tracks or updated ones.. and if there is a multiple layouts on a track and if that corner overlaps with other ones straight we see much wider abuse.. but i cant fully blame drivers..