02-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
with the M2 being forced induction with a turbo and tune, wouldn't we naturally want slightly tighter spark plug gapping ? since there is more boost pressure at 22 PSI, I would need to make sure I get a spark between all the compression. I feel like going slightly smaller would help, but obviously not to the extreme of .018 like how the shop did it. I feel like .023 would be the perfect medium
Ok I realize my last post might be harsh, my apologies I was typing it really early in the morning lol.

Ok let me explain it in another way. The ideal gap is to be as large as possible and around 0.028" set by BMW. The fact that the car is turbo charged has little to do with gap size you still want to maximize it. Closing the gap has no real benefits and is only done when you don't have coil upgrades or you're making insane 1k whp and have no choice. So you always want the largest possible gap, regardless of NA or turbo charged.

An analogy is you're wearing sun glasses on a bright day allowing to to have your eyes fully open, and it gets brighter youre still able to keep you're eyes wide open. But at some point when it gets too bright you begin to squint (when hp increases eventually you close the gap). Eventually if it gets too bright you squint so much that you can't see anymore. Why would you keep squinting instead of buying darker glasses. Squinting is only a temporary band aide to the real problem. Just like Conti using to gap down is just a band aid, upgrading coils is better.