11-08-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
TheFlyingJohn
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahPA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
On the one hand, articles I've read estimates the chip shortage to last no longer than 2022, so there seems to be an end in sight, though still far off.

On the other hand, despite lower production numbers and removal of some features on a number of their models, BMW posted record breaking Q3 revenue results. This could set a dangerous precedent in the future where automakers could artificially create a shortage to increase prices and profit margins knowing that demand is somewhat inelastic, similar to what OPEC does with crude oil.

Just remember that the ultimate goal of a company is to maximize value for their shareholders (with more profits), and you'll easily see where prices will be headed.
Excellent point. It all boils down to supply and demand. At the end of the day, I'm not buying an M2 as an investment. I'm buying it to drive for years to come and plan on holding onto it as long as possible.
In a similar position as you, shopping for an M4 or maybe an M2, depending on what I can find. In my opinion - which is based on me thinking about stuff - the depreciation clock has essentially been reset by 2 years. A 2019 M2C is the same price today as it was new in 2019. A low mileage 2018 M4 ZCP is the same today as it was in 2019. I don't think we are going to wake up one day and prices will have adjusted back to where we all think they should be. I also don't think prices will keep climbing, I think we're at the top and these cars will follow a normal depreciation curve from here. IMO find a great condition example of what you are looking for that fits your budget and buy. I really don't believe we'll get caught holding the bag on these cars (if we do then we're in a big time recession)
Appreciate 1