View Single Post
      07-23-2021, 12:49 AM   #96
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Post AutoSolutions Short Shifter Kit & Ultimate Clutch Pedal Review

I finally got around to installing the UCP and AS SSK.

INSTALL AND REVIEW:It was fairly straightforward with the UCP. I also landed up installing the M pedal while I had the new clutch pedal in hand. My friend drilled them out, while I worked on the UCP install. I set the pedal in the middle position as a good starting point. Immediately, I noticed the clutch pedal position is equidistant to the brake pedal. This eliminated the problem where my foot constantly hit the OEM clutch pedal when moving from the rest pedal. The middle position on the UCP definitely provides a shorter travel and allows for smoother engagement of the clutch. The pedal also feels slightly firmer than the OEM pedal. The billet aluminum feel is more consistent and less vague than the plastic OEM feel. I would not say the install of the UCP is easy given the gumby like nature of the position you have to be in to remove the stock pedal and install. I'm just glad I was flexible enough to get it done.

Reference Install Video (used this for reference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afe2rheIKWI

SAD NOTE: I did accidentally damage the master clutch cylinder on the final step by not double checking the bolt had completely gone through the eyelet of the cylinder shaft. I pushed down on the pedal to complete the last step (not realizing the mistake I had made) and the plastic shaft broke from the pressure. Long story short, it cost me another $65 for a new master clutch cylinder on top of a a clutch bleed (live and learn ). In my years of modifying cars, I've never broken anything while installing a part. Lesson learned: Light up the underneath of the dash as much as you can and use both hands to the complete the final bolt installation. I mention this so others can learn from my mistakes.

Would I do the install by myself....100% yes!
Should you buy the UCP....absolutely a big difference in pedal pressure so yes.

While I has a local BMW mechanic perform the clutch bleed, he took a look at my AS SSK and absolutely wanted to do the install right there and then. He made it a point to say this was by far the best construction he had seen on a shorter installed on an M car. Since he knew his way around M cars and had installed various short shifters before, it actually only took him 1.5 hours to complete the AS SSK install. It was interesting to watch someone who intuitively knew how to install a short shifter. He basically did the install in the easiest way possible by dropping the drive shaft out of the way, disconnecting the shifter rod and transmission mount, and "snaking" the shifter out without having to drop the exhaust.

Brief Video highlighting install steps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H9qgmvPDPE

REVIEW: This is by far the best modification I've done and will probably be the top personal and performance modification throughout my ownership. I ordered a 22.5% reduction at stock height with the upgraded bushings. This shifter kit makes the OEM one feel like a distant memory. All shifts are precise, crisp, and eliminate the vagueness/"rubber like" feel of the OEM shifter completely. All gear throws are pronounced and require minimal additional effort on my part. 1st to 2nd gear is much smoother. 2nd to 3rd gear is visceral at WOT. 3rd to 2nd gear is perfection, especially when you're in M mode with greater throttle response and rev matching in tow. Through the gear changes, I have much better feel for the gear I'm in at all times. The gear changes are more audible (so if you're not keen on that, this may not be for you). I personally like the audible "click" notifying me the proper gear position has been reached. Currently I have the M performance shifter so the shifter provides a more definitive mechanical feel. For those who want to minimize that a heavier weighted shift knob would offer more kinetic force and somewhat minimize this "notchy" feel. Overall, I'm happy to get this installed for a whopping....wait for it, wait for it....$250!

Is the price to performance worth it?....most definitely yes
Is it something most can install on their own....probably no
Would I recommend this specific shifter kit....absolutely yes
Am I happy with the 22.5% reduction....it's perfect
Does the shifter pair well with M shift knob....yes if you like a more mechanical feel

The M2 Comp truly is so much more enjoyable to drive now. If my S2000 is the gold standard at 10, my M2 Comp has now achieved the silver standard at 8.5. Since I had already installed the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, I have now achieved the "trifecta" on these specific modifications. If anyone has questions, just post up or send me a PM and I will answer questions for you. I hope this was informative at the least.
NWest563.00
Drew41561.50
TRM2C14.50
(K)1282.50