Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
It isn't just that the oil cooler is cheaper.. its failure while driving and associated costs and damage. Failing on a long trip, tow costs, loss of oil to the motor and an infinite number of other possible scenarios.

Even if the oil cooler was free I would still do this upgrade, but doubly so if you uograde the oil cooler as well.
I had a small rock take out my E30 325iX oil cooler at a toll booth. Believe me you'll know rather quickly that it's leaking.

The challenge I have with the skid plate is that it has the same exact design as the factory part. If I don't add mesh that is small enough to deflect smaller debris and maintain airflow I've accomplished nothing. That leaves larger debris like rocks and tree limbs, which will take out my front end first and then probably bend the metal up into the oil cooler. So same result a new oil cooler plus if it's that big probably a new oil pan and maybe even the diff.

Additionally, being more "robust" it will rip out the rivets holding it on so you will may actually have higher repair costs associated with the collateral damage.
Appreciate 0