View Single Post
      02-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #16
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I disagree that it's overpriced. Expensive? Yes. But that is different than overpriced.

When I told my good friend ptgltw that I was interested in an M2C, knowing that I like to modify cars to my own taste, he asked me what I'd do to it. I told him that I knew it would need a better suspension, I'd probably go with Ohlins. I hated the look of the stock wheels, and they were heavy, so I'd go aftermarket. I LOVED the look of the CS hood, so I'd probably swap in one of those (and certainly not the OEM one for $8K!). I thought that the stock seats were meh, but I probably wouldn't spend the $ or effort to swap those. I'd probably get a CF splitter and spoiler. Maybe try to dress up the interior a bit too with some M Performance pieces. Maybe an exhaust.

He asked if I had added up the cost of all that, and why not just get a CS? I did some quick math, and he was right. Add to that all of the additional improvements of the CS (and of course that roof!), plus the exclusivity of the model, and it's a winner.

Also, like ptgltw, I own an E30 M3 and an E36 M3 LTW, and am familiar with their history. They were extremely unloved when they were for sale new. People complained of the price and lack of options/amenities. "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have air conditioning or a radio?" sounds just like "Why would I pay more for a car that doesn't have Comfort Access?" My LTW sat new at the dealer for a year and a half! It was sold for less than MSRP. Now, 25 years later, we know what they're worth.

The story for the E30 M3 is similar, and we know what those are worth now. I think the M2CS will have the same future. But of course that's not why you buy a car anyway!
Appreciate 3