F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
If someone can pull it off it be -Eidos
I highly doubt it, it's not a matter of tuning skill or car building skills but the fact that the factory radiator is so fricken small. The reason why is bmw tucks the intercooler underneath of the radiator assembly thereby cutting a huge section out of the radiator. This is why the s55 with an air to water intercooler can push much higher power levels on the track because it has such a large radiator compared to the n55 cars, as the heat exchanger sits in front of the radiator allowing for a full size rad to be used.

The only way I can see a semi-bolt on (not too much custom work) streetable build (has AC and bumper bar intact for street legalility) n55 m2 pushing 500 whp stay cool on the track with a really good driver pushing hard, is for the following to occur:

1) A crap ton of water spraying to occur on the radiator
2) CO2 sprayers on the radiator, this might cause cracking issues as the radiator is going to be really hot and the CO2 will be extremely cold
3) crazy custom fender radiators or rear mounted radiators, this kinda of pushes the limits of bolt on.
4) deletion of the coolant oil heat exchanger which will absolutely screw over any winter climate m2 owners.
5) A giant oil cooler and factory oil thermostat delete and replaced with something like improved racings high flow thermostat. This again will be unfeasible for any sort of winter driving, especially with the heat exchanger delete.
6) If a single large oil cooler is not possible due to the limited mounting spots then you'll likely have to go dual custom oil coolers in the lower bumper openings + aux radiator in where a dct cooler would be.
7) maybe if there's space to double stack radiators but then you compromise so much airflow.

But most of these things would make the car non streetable with over cooled oil that has a difficult time warming up in the winter, or coolant temps that have trouble getting up to temp.

Otherwise if you're willing to do crazy custom fabbing then it could be possible with a full s55 cooling retrofit + additional radiators, but at that point it wouldn't qualify as an n55 cooling setup anymore.

In summary an off the shelf solution is impossible, but with enough crazy diying and fabbing anything is possible.

Edit- this sounds kind of negative let me clear it up a bit, I really do hope someone can do something crazy with the n55 cooling setup so we all can have a path to follow, so if edios can do it I will be cheering for him. But I really don't think it's possible if you keep the n55 cooling setup and frame work, you'd really really have to go out of the box to solve this issue.

Last edited by F87source; 01-29-2021 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
ZM22813.50