View Single Post
      11-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #2531
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Bimmercode is 100% safe and does not void your warranty and if done correctly, does not reveal any changes, within the vehicle's BUS mapping.

It's only harmful if you don't know WTF you're doing and screw up some parameter coding change but there are fail-safe backups built into the APP, saved onto iCloud's memory.

That said, unless you're experienced in coding, I suggest that you leave any parameters that might be safety/engine/drivetrain related, untouched, for obvious reasons. It's prudence to limit your coding activities to that of superficial features that make our life easier on the day to day basis and not interfere with anything that might limit the safety of others and yourself. With great power..

Coding, as done with BimmerCode, does not add new lines to the programming registry and therefore, the checksum does not trigger any telltale mismatched errors for a dealer to notice.

This is very much similar to selecting, checking/in-checking options within the iDrive's Infotainment system options list, except that they are not directly accessible. The Bimmercode APP allows a portal into these hidden menu, allowing fine-tuning of specific features, otherwise known as FDL coding.

Some feature are de-activated for various reasons (some are market-related, regulations, cost, etc) and you are merely just changing the status of the stock features.

So, I don't see any reason why BMW would void your warranty. In my experience, the service managers are pretty level-headed, for the most part. My car was coded for severs years and I just never mentioned it to any of the service centers I had patronized, yet, I never had a single issue with any warranty claim and - I've had a quite a couple that was all rubber-stamped.

This whole "BMW will void warranty" folks are being a little too paranoid. There are more cases of getting good will warranty/discount, than BMW refusing warranty a claim, for trivial reasons. BMW service departments have neither the time nor inclination to go fishing to review the vehicle's current coding configuration and just don't give them a reason to, like self-snitching.

The worst case scenario happens and you encounter some hard-nosed, service nazi, that insist on busting your balls for some irrelevant changes, the most you might have to do is move up the food-chain and justify to someone in the higher ups, in order to have them reverse a draconian or unreasonable warranty denial.

Franchise dealers usually play very nice if you are the first owner, you stay loyal to a single dealer, carry out service as per schedule, etc. If you have also spent money there and maybe splurged on their extended maintenance plan(s), a repeat (i.e. profitable) customer, etc. that can work in your favor, which might push them to be indifferent to your supposed changes.

One drawback for coding in your favorite feature is it might not be permanent. If BMW has to update the entire vehicle's software (due to reasons like failed module, compulsory update from BMW, software issues being faced), you coding changes all reset to the original factory setting, so you will lose your coding features and would have to do them over from scratch. Bimmercode back-ups no longer works, upon new software revision.

Hope I was able to shed some light on the subject and not confused you guys even further..
Appreciate 4
CFO280.00
wjones14676.00