United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You can't just leave well enough alone, can you! J/K
Hahaha . . . of course, nobody ever complained about getting the 'free' 1,200 mile break-in service.

I was just following-up on the heels of recent discussion where it was suggested the service was a bit antiquated and based on older engine models that likely required/benefitted from early oil change.

The build included in my prior post was for a new G80 M3 Competition and showed 10,000miles/12-month oil change. Couple points about this . . .

1. The 1,200 mile break-in service (e.g., with M2C) is not just 1,200 miles. there is also a time component, which I believe is 6-months from time of build - whichever comes first. Many new owners do not know this and question why their service did the service 'early.'

2. I could be wrong, but I do not believe the M2C includes a 10,000 mile/12-month oil change? That would be kind of redundant to have two oil changes within first 12-months?

3. The G80 M3 build states 'oil change.' I assume it includes engine and rear-axle differential, and BMW just changed the miles/time frame of first service from 1,200/6 to 10,000/12?

#3 becomes relevant because, unlike most, I do not believe in a 'break-in period.' I am from the 'drive it in' school of thought - drive it like you stole it out of the gate. I have a hard time believing BMW would expect anyone to 'break-in' their engine for 10,000miles/12-months. . . perhaps BMW is also adopting the 'drive it in' mentality as well?

///AVM
I don't want to speculate on the possible removal of the 1,200 mile service on the G82, until I get a secondary confirmation that it is in fact removed.

I just checked an old build sheet from a 2016 F82 M4 and it does list the "10,000miles/12-months" notation, so the concept is not foreign to M cars.

The oil change system in all BMWs are condition based, meaning for someone who drives like a grandma, their oil change interval is going to be longer, than say someone who guns it, at every stoplight.

So that 10k service is a rough estimate, give or take.

I'm with you in believing that BMW is not going to entrust the average laymen to properly break in a vehicle, had it been that detrimental to the vehicle's longevity, when they are the ones on the hook, for the first four years of repairs.

In fact, high performance Lexus (LFA) and Acura NSX (2020) already come broken in, from the factory.

To a degree, I could only imagine BMW follows suit, especially on their high-performance M models..

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///AVM2531.00