Robimplicit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2; 335d

5W-30 vs 5W-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If you do a lot of short trips between April - Sept then I don't think you will gain much going to 5W-30, even though I suspect (but unable to verify as I can't find specs on BMW 0W-30) that 5W-30 still might be more durable than 0W-30 and possibly have less evaporation. As I said, I am trying to verify but can't find data.

the M2 originally came with Shell made LL-01 5W-30 and BMW says it's approved until they run out of it so you can buy BMW 5W-30 online until runs out corrected since Pennzoil 5W-30 not LL-01 would work great but as I said before in your case it's not a super clear cut case as there is some slight benefit if the car sits a long time and if you do short drives.
I live in southern Ohio; cold winters but not cold like Minnesota or northern Michigan. Summers are hot/humid with most days in 80s and 90s. Given this and the fact the M2 originally came with 5W-30 (as stated above), I'm thinking of going with Red Line 5W-30. Any reason to consider 5W-40 if I'm not expecting to track the car at this point?