Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
great point here if I understand it correctly.

I have worked for a professional factory race team in the test department. For disclosure that was 30 years ago but the concepts are the same. Race stuff is NOT necessarily better for the street. There is this notion that if something for the track will translate to more durability on the street. That is NOT often the case. Oils like MOTUL that are truly for racing are designed to provide racing performance. That means most of their focus and testing revolves around high intensity durability. Oil that can withstand high stress loads of racing and race teams change the oil often. So while they can be better for tracking and are designed to work better under duress they can break down quicker if you just drive around in a direct injected motor with fuel mixing with it. So eventually you end up with less protection just driving around. Now MOTUL did at some point have LL-01 oil which means they tested it for Long Life and that it what should be used to replace factory oil unless you are a track beast and change your oil after every event.

I don't want to digress too much but same thing goes air filters. KN filters are great for a little boost at the expense of letting more crap into your motor. It is dumb " in my opinion" to use a KN for 15 years on a street car as it lets crap that can damage your engine into it. I used them in my autocrossing days BUT I would put in the morning of the autocross and put a regular filter back in after since that was also my street car.

So if you use Race oil and treat it like race oil, change it often, etc than that is OK, the concern I raise here is that automatic assumption that if it's race stuff it will be more durable than street-focused oils.
Regarding MOTUL oil, their 8100 5w-40 is what I just put in at my last oil change and it is LL-01.

I also used LiquidMoly 2009 MOS2 anti-friction additive as suggested by my Indy service center as my car has 62K miles.

Another member said - "No additives" so I don't really know.
All seems ok after about 1K miles after the change.
Yes LL-01 is high quality street oil but Motul makes race oils that are really good for racing and short use and as I mentioned many erroneously believe that if it's better at the racetrack then it must be better long term. So just wanted to throw that out there. The other reason I mention Shell/Pennzoil is that it is made the same way as BMW oil.

Also the benefits of using good oil and weight are not going to show in 1K or 5k miles. These show up many years later at 10OK. You will also not see significant temperature drops as the temps you see are operating temperatures since the oil is doing its job to lubricare and spread the heat into oil so it can be cooled. The use of good oil and appropriate weight are intended to prevent breakdown of the lubricanting properties.
Appreciate 0