View Single Post
      07-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #145
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

In addition to the feedback provided, I went online and read a few articles about the ZF8. The articles echoed in large part what has been shared thus far in this thread, and it is clear ZF8 is the future of BMW transmissions, if not the current.

Proponents indicate the ZF8 is lighter, faster, more fuel efficient, more capable, and offers more diverse application over DCT/MT . . . if taken at face value, the ZF8 is simply ‘better.’

Initially, my impression of ZF8 was that it was purely an automatic transmission, akin to driving in DCT automatic mode. However, given feedback that paddle shifting it still possible with ZF8, a couple questions remain on my part:

1. If the ZF8 is capable of paddle shifts, does it retain capability for shifter shifts? With DCT, paddle and shifter shifting are interchangeable, so it seems if paddle shifts are possible with ZF8, shifter shifts should also be available?

2. What I am getting at above is ‘manual mode.’ Again, if paddle shifting is possible with ZF8, does applying the paddles automatically move the transmission into ‘manual mode,’ as occurs with DCT? Otherwise, how does ZF8 know if you want to manually shift (e.g., via paddles or shifter) versus shifting automatically for the driver?

3. Overall, as I inquired previously, is the ZF8 set up in a manner that would make it indistinguishable from DCT if the driver did not otherwise know what transmission was present?

///AVM
Appreciate 0