06-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #2205
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Got these dry CF mirror caps only for $118 from eBay, will check how they fit tomorrow..
M2C

In the pick below you can see my small misfortune. If you you look closely at the mirror mount in the background you can see its position, which is important because you want to be lined right up the middle of the mount. If you are lined up, the mirror pops off quite readily; if off-center, then you will be likely laying the mirror to rest and coughing up $197.92 to your local BMW dealer for a new one. . . driver side mirror more expensive, so I would advice you start on the less expensive (passenger) side.

Many videos online on the topic. These include individuals just 'yanking' the mirror cap off and others prying the mirror cap slightly off and using a mallet to pound it fully off. In my initial attempts and experience, neither is the best approach . . . obviously others have had success that I did not, so it is your call. Ultimately, it just seemed the removing the mirror caps was an all-or-none proposition, and I could not get either of the described approaches to work.

My approach obviously came at a cost, but was pretty simple and involved removing the mirror and un-clipping the mirror cap from within the housing. Hopefully, my tip above will prevent you similar mishap. Also, in some videos (M2?) there are three clips that are pinched together with something like needle-nose pliers. My M2C only had two clips and they only need to be pushed to the side with a flat-head screwdriver, or similar tool, not pinched. The outer clips are easiest to manipulate and once disengaged, the inner clip will just pull off with a little tug on the mirror cap.

FYI, my CF mirror caps are OEM straight from BMW.

Good luck!

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M2COMP497.50