01-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #671
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
I don't think this thread turned into an argument. I think debate is a better word and considering its 31 pages apparently it's a lively debate . Nor do I think full on M owners are feeling superior or are butt hurt as a few have said. I appreciate all BMW models old and new. . I like the brand and what it stands for and M is a strong sub brand of BMW. I agree it should be reserved for the full on M cars. I would say BMW made a mistake in whoring "M" out across its entire line except for the fact that they had record sales this year. From that angle I guess they know what they are doing.

I admit that an M340 X drive with a tune and a few bits added would be a better and more sensible choice for me. It's a hell of a car and I may own one down the road.. [B]But I'm in a M3 CS right now because after 60 years I finally got to a place in my life I could afford one. It was a gift to myself. Its different and unique and special and stirs my emotions. Which is how most car enthusiasts choose a car. As long as it does that it's all good.
IMHO a totally legitimate reason. I am also at that point in life, but I am also at a point in life where I won't be tracking the car so a true M car is over the top for me (and my spouse will scream at the stiff suspension). But that doesn't mean I don't want performance and that doesn't mean that I don't want to be able to pass a slower vehicle on a steep hill where the speed limit is 65 or 75 without worrying about my ability to quickly speed up and go by the car (and then slow down once I get past).

But do it because you want/need the car, not because you want to show off to others. And if you want what used to be called an MPerformance car, for your wants/needs, go ahead and do it and it is no one else's concern.
Appreciate 0