01-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #38
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by apue View Post
I would like to know where you got the pricing idea (i.e. 103-93-83k) .
I've tried several scenarios. I wonder if you could achieve 83K driveaway for 18 built.
It is entirely made up for the sake of discussion.

Quote:
When it's the time to sell my car after 5 years I don't expect the valuation gap is that great because there is no change in the spec and inclusions between the years.
The odometer number is a big part of the valuation.
I agree, the mileage is a significant factor in determining the used vehicle value. However, the build date is also a factor as well.

Go to CarSales (or any other valuation site of your choice) and choose BMW M3 Comp F80 (or any other comparable vehicle), you will see figures like this.

- 2016 M3 Competition F80 LCI Auto = $78,700
- 2017 M3 Competition F80 LCI Auto = $89,800
- 2018 M3 Competition F80 LCI Auto = $98,900

Please note the difference in private sell price guide - only variable is the year or build date, which factors in an average mileage. However, no matter how low the mileage, a 2016 F80 M3C will not fetch the same price as 2018 F80 M3C with similar mileage. Why? Because 2016 is two years older.

Quote:
If I sell it via private the next buyer is keen to know other factors.
How many Kms is the car done,
if the car was properly serviced,
if the car had been modded,
if the car had any accident,
if the seller is the first owner.
The prospective buyer can ask these questions, but I can't imagine all sellers will disclose that their vehicle had an accident or it was tracked. Getting a written vehicle inspection from an independent assessor would be better.

And as you have stated, the buyer would want to know if you are the first owner. If the car was registered to the dealer first, you would be the 2nd owner. Then the questions regarding the 1st owner will need to be addressed.

Quote:
The depreciation curve is the steepest for the built to order because the discount amount was the least.
No doubt about it! Keep in mind, well over $10,000 of the new OTR car price is GST and the Luxury Car Tax. The first owner pays them. Once paid, that money disappears into thin air. At least the next buyer of your car will thank you for it!

Some people value lowest entry price above everything else. Some might buy a 2018 M2C to save another $1,000 over buying a 2020 M2C. There is nothing wrong with that choice. It's their money. As long as they are walking into the deal with their eyes wide open. They are not getting the same car with same value.

Last edited by ///Driver; 01-17-2020 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0