12-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #972
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
The BMWUK site also list the weight for Comp and CS as the same.
Regardless of weight, the CS will ride differently than the Competition version. Also, I read that the new 992 911 Turbo is about 110 pounds more than the last generation. Weight gain is everywhere in the car industry including Porsche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My guess is due to a change in frame materials and electronics. I believe the point is that the future for manufacturing seems to be increasing weight. Unless using more expensive materials, but that decreases affordability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Correct, which is why many Porschephiles view the 997 as the last mechanical/analog 911. The 991 weight savings was modest and came at a great cost. Anyway, that was over eight years ago, so I'm not sure it's all that relevant. The 992 is the new 911 and it's the biggest, fattest, heaviest and most tech/electronics-riddled 911 ever. Let's be honest, if you're a driver purist, and you are strictly in the market for a new car, your options are severely limited. The GT3 Touring was a dream come true for many enthusiasts but it was not cheap and the fact is production is long over now (and I almost dread what the 992 version will look like, in terms of size, tech, styling and weight). So, while the M2 CS is priced higher than I'd like, I think it's the best option in the new car market -- again, coming from a driver purist perspective.
Beware about official weight figures from the past: rules for car weight figures have been tightened. In the past most high performance car manufacturers perfected the art of listing the lowest weight possible with car configurations that almost no customer chose, for low weight bragging rights purposes. Regulations forced the car industry to indicate more realistic figures as regards car weight, fuel consumption, range and CO2 emissions.

For a good example, see here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Remember Andreas Preuninger recently trying to talk his way out in interviews when tackling the topic of the 80kg weight increase - on paper - of the 718 GT4 (2019) compared to the 981 GT4 (2015) (1420 kg vs 1340 kg), emphasizing that it's only about 30kg extra rather than 80kg extra.
See from 13:28 to 15:21 in this video (comparing spec sheets: "it's deceiving, deceiving").
Fair enough, but that implies that the 1340kg figure quoted by Porsche back in 2015 for the bare-bones 981 GT4 was actually not representative for GT4 cars sold 'in real life' and would be around 1390kg when weighed with nowadays standards.
Last June, in the Sport Auto interview, AP also disclosed that for 'delete' features "the take-rate is at maximum 2%": see from 12:51 to 13:25 in this video.
So though the 1340 kg figure may be technically true for the 981 GT4 and back then the car could have been ordered that way, but that won't be the usual GT4 sold 'in real life' back then.
Good thing that regulations force car manufacturers to provide figures (weight, fuel consumption, range, emissions) that are closer to 'real life'.