View Single Post
      12-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by schembree View Post
It's turned pretty cold, temps are hovering around 35F. I've noticed my oil temp isn't even making it onto the temp scale (160F). I've read in some of the other forums that you're not supposed to even put the engine into Sport unless the oil temp is running around 200F. I've been driving the car all night in stop and go traffic and the temp isn't even registering. Is there some risk to damaging engine components?
Sounds like your journey is too short to heat up the car. It needs a good 15-30min of normal driving to get up to operating temp and like 10 miles before the trans is warm.

If you drive it normally it will not damage anything, the drive mode is irrelevant, only the load and RPMs.

If you do a lot of only short journeys then water that is in the oil does not get a chance to evaporate, reducing the oil's lubricating properties. This can lead to engine damage that takes a while to show up (tens of thousands of miles). If you drive the car one long journey for every 3-4 short ones it should not be a problem.

The oil monitoring system thingy will require more frequent oil changes if you only do short journeys.