12-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #957
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I don't see these things as black or white, but rather a progressive scale of greys.

The CS series are not intended as all out track cars. They are intended to be dual use cars: practical daily drivers and track toys, with slightly more bias towards track performance. The GTS (CSL in the future) series are intended primarily as track toys that can be driven to and from the track.

A true coil-over suspension will indeed offer better track performance due to greater adjustability of various rebound and compression parameters, but at the expense of greater complexity. Not everyone is able to extract the best out of manually adjustable dampers. I have the MP-HAS on my M4cs, so I would argue that it is possible to fine tune ride height and corner balancing with AD. I actually tuned the handling balance of my car by playing with the front and rear ride heights. Further, coil-overs also come at the expense of durability. Based on personal experience and shared experiences from track buddies, coil-over dampers require an overhaul after 2-3 seasons to remain at their best. The adaptive dampers on the ///Ms that I have owned still performed flawlessly after 70,000~90,000 km of ownership, which included well over 100 track day on each car.

From a track performance standpoint, coil-overs are the superior option, followed by the adaptive dampers and then followed by the static dampers. Fitting the M2cs with adaptive dampers is the right "engineering choice" given the M2cs' intended mission.
Good to know your ADs are still hauling ass...which is a bit surprising because I know a few were not performing at their best after 40000km. 2-3 seasons can amount to quite a lot of mileage so a refresh on a set of coilovers is not unreasonable and much cheaper than replacing a set of ADs.

Perhaps you are right about ADs being the most appropriate solution for the intended demographic but I personally would much prefer a set of true coilovers like the KW clubsport on the M4 GTS.
Appreciate 0