12-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #956
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I do know even since I knew of BMW, they always pioneered automotive technology in the name of enhance handling, which is their name to fame.

As with all modern M cars, it's saving grace is it's electronic locking Limited Slip Differential that based on load or vehicle or driver input, it able to locks the appropriate percentage and allowed slippage to maximize traction and over-steer, on demand, an in intelligent manner.

Having electronic dampers added to the mix that piggybacks of the same logic, adds a layer to the vehicle's control and dynamics.

When you break it down, coilovers or electric shocks are all the same core dampers coil, one just has more real-live vehicle influence over the other.

The advantage of coilovers is it's height adjustability and track tuned dampers but its still only set at once pace or height before you can jack up the car and physically adjust its setting. Having control from the cabin a huge advantage to the average street driven consumer.

I expect any dampers to last roughly 60,000 to 80,000 miles before they physically wear out and I'm aware they do cost $1,000 per side.

I could snag them online, retail, for $800 but that's the cost of doing business.

I'm sure coilovers needs a complete refresh sooner than Adaptive Dampers will due to its hard-core setting and tighter tolerances.

However you slice it, personal cars are luxury not a necessity, it really comes down to how much you want to spend for what you want.
From a daily usage standpoint yes the adaptive dampers are superior because it handles a wider range of road conditions than the preset coilcovers.

From a track performance perspective then it's the other way around. People have different driving styles, drivers weight differently so to be able to corner balance and shift weights to close in on that optimum 25% distribution per corner is one of the cornerstones of coilovers. Then there is the rebound and compression than can be adjusted on the spot to fine tune over & understeer. Consider it akin to a set of 007 Tom Ford Bespoke ...

Last edited by Karmic Man; 12-19-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0