View Single Post
      12-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #18
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Update

I didn't get around to posting an update last year, and this is what I did to make it work.

As a recap, here are the stats on the car:

STOCK
19 X 9 ET 29 245/35 R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport (NEW: 10/32”)
19 x 10 ET 40 265/35 R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport (NEW: 10/32”)

400 mm diameter brake disks front / 380 mm diameter brake disks rear (compared to 380mm/370mm of standard M2)

As I said above, for 3 months of the year, I couldn't justify spending even $400 per wheel for the gorgeous Apex wheels, so I kept looking. Locally, I found some 19" wheels at half the price, but as indicated earlier, any 19" wheel may not fit, because of the shape of the barrel, if it's not got an indent around the calipers.

WHEELS I GOT
The ones they had were 19 X 8.5, ET 35 wheels, but they were either too close for comfort IMO for getting debris stuck between the wheel and the caliper (I've read that happening even on the stock wheels given the super tight clearance b/w the calipers and the wheel), or maybe they even scraped a hair.

And I should have expected that. A wheel offset calculator tells you going to those wheels, the outer edge of the wheel will RETRACT by 12mm.

I would think you could get away with 10mm spacers on the front, but as I already had a set of 15's, I just put those on the front to be super safe. And then I put 12 mm spacers in rear to make it look nice.

If I was going to do it again and did not want to spend $400+ a wheel, I'd try to just go for 19 x 9 wheels with offset of 30 or lower. And I would think that should eliminate the need for spacers.

TIRE RUB
The tires I went with are 245/35/19 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4’s (NEW: 10.5/32”). They rub a bit on the plastic fender wall on full lock, because despite being the exact same size as the OEM tires, they have a more square shoulder profile.

If you compare the two tires' Tread Widths, you'll see that too: The PA4's is 9.5" whereas the PSS is 8.8". It goes away after a few thousand miles of driving, and has caused no damage on the plastic.

Hope that helps! Here's a picture of my car (I overexposed it so the wheels are really visible).
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus99; 12-22-2019 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Added details about tread width of tires
Appreciate 1