View Single Post
      10-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #94
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Oh man, is this a loaded question?! Also very subjective, but here is what I can tell you:

1) Keeping the factory stagger will help preserve that balanced feeling you enjoy, but as you guessed there is more to this

2) Rubber compound. Staying with Michelin will likely be the easiest way to maintain similar feel at the limits, because of the blend of the chemicals. Each tire makes use a more or less proprietary blend of rubber which behaves better/worse in different temperatures and in presence of H20. But if you like a feel of a particular blend chances are you will also enjoy the feel of their next level of aggressiveness.

3) Wider tires genrally provide more grip. But there is a whole lot more toconsider here too. Even if you go from 255 MPSS to a 275 MPSS the breakaway behavior of the 275 will be more abrupt than 255. Because Physics. Very very (overly) simply put because as you increase grip you also increase cornering forces. If you increase Force without changing anything else you also increase acceleration. Meaning gripper tire lets go more abruptly!

4) And perhaps more important. TEMPERATURE of tire!
Most people have very little understanding of how important this factor is. Take a racing slick at 90F and compare it to MPSS of fame dimensions at 170F, and very likely MPSS will have more grip in this scenario.

This is VERY important. A lot of people want more grip, but don't realize that even during spirited runs they never enter the envelope of optimal tire grip temperature off track. 130F is well below max grip of even a street tire. So pay attention to your pressures AND temperatures. You could have the best tire but if you don't operate in it's sweet spot of pressure and temperature it will perform poorly. Most people would be surprised at how grippy MPSS can be at proper temperature.

5) Pressures. Some tires like having no more than 33psi. Some are happy at 40psi. There are trends to tire type, and +/- 3PSI for different manufactures. So research and pay attention.

So if you like Canyon carving but not track days, and you live in some elevation my recommendation would be keep stock size but get MPS4 or one size up (255/275 MAX) but be ready for more abrupt breakaway. Again, not huge difference but still. Little things add up.

6) then there is suspension geometry, camber, caster, toe ... but no. We keep this simple.

Loaded topic but I hope this helps you consider most important variables.
I thought it may be better to stick to the MPSS tire that was specifically made for our car versus a general MPS4S?

Also, do you find the tire temp gauge BMW offers through I-drive reliable? I usually get my tires into the 120-125F range...surprised to hear they can go up to 170F.